INDIVIDUAL VOYAGE THROUGH CHINA DURING 7 WEEKS PEKING XIAN CHENGDU CHONGQING YANGTZE RIVER MOUNTS HUANGSHAN HANGZHOU SUZHOU SHANGHAI PEKING

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Going down.

Entering the immense restaurant of the hotel, no free places. A pleasant couple invites us at their table. Breakfast is not appetizing: fried peanuts, rice floating in liquid, brown beans, bread cooked on vapor, a biscuit. Even I don’t like it I swallow all of it because I need to be fit to face the 6.000 steps which will bring us back to our starting point.
Our backpacks are light. Here we are setting out on ways very different from OUR mountains paths. They are traced in the stone, the steps engraved in the rock. It’s a luminous day, the exceptional visibility let us see Huangshan in whole its greatness. Wonderful is the blend of enormous rocks of grotesque shape and luxuriant vegetation. Profile around us majestic peaks with millennial pines in multiple attitudes, which gave them picturesque names such as “Pine of the Black Tiger”, “Siamese twins”… Now I see a lonely pine tree growing on the top of a peak! On our going down we have to pass the top of “Lotus Flower” climbing abrupt endless staircases. I fear to look up; the top of the way seems to be lost in the sky. There is fortunately a slope, which helps me to mount. At the top I lose breath in front of the splendid view. Innumerable cliffs erect at the horizon. To go down of the Lotus Flower is not easier on those precipitous rocky staircases. When I succeed to overcome the most problematic spot I may, relaxed, admire the landscapes.

Suddenly, far away, I discern Yupinglu (Jade Screen in the Heaven), where we hope to spend the night. After a walk of six hours the sun is still high in the sky. Thank God! We get the last free room.
In front of the refuge (alt. 1.160m.) backed against the rock, extends a terrace which overhangs the spectacular scenery of a cliff sea, extraterrestrial shaped. The place is fairy-like. I enjoy intensively this moment I dreamed of. Now I realize why poets find inspiration to meditate on nature visiting the magic Huangshan .
In the evening we enjoy the sunset filtering through the millennial pine in front of the refuge. Its long branches, stretched to the visitors seem to say they are welcome. So they gave him the symbolic name: “Pine of Welcome”.
We are halfway of the descent, that’s why we live Yupinglu early in the morning when a sea of snow-white clouds encloses Yupinglu. Some peaks emerge, then disappear in clouds. Fantastic picture! Today, I enjoy more calm the surrounding where blend vales, peaks, abysses, forests…. On a steep staircase arrive porters overloaded with supplies to provide Yupinglu. I back against the rock to let them go in order not to interrupt their rhythm. I feel guilty, such a labour to satisfy others pleasure. I forget my compassion when steps are so steep I wouldn’t be able to go along without a parapet, which protects me from the abysses on my left. At some places therapeutists help the pilgrims to put their poor legs in order, if necessary.
About midday, tired but happy, we arrive at the end of one more unforgettable experience; in the afternoon we say adieu to Huangshan.

Mounts Huangshan. Up to Lotus Flower

Up to Lotus Flower
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
... ...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 
website tracking
free hit counter
Free Hit Counter